Common Causes Of Commercial Space Fires
Every 23 seconds, a fire department in the U.S responds to a fire alarm. Yes, that’s right!
But that’s not all.
Over 100,000 fires occur in commercial buildings annually, costing over 2 billion dollars in damages. Let all of this sink in for a moment.
Fire is a significant hazard to people's lives and properties – there’s no doubt about it.
Despite this, we seldom consider the possibility of a fire occurring at our place of business, right?
The truth is, even with the most robust fire prevention training and policies in place and the best fire suppression equipment, a fire might still break out.
Here are some of the most common causes of commercial fires:
Electricity has inherent fire danger.
Old or defective wiring, overloaded circuits, unsecured connections, broken fuses, uneven electrical outputs can lead to overheating or sparks that cause a fire.
When you first move into your new workplace, ensure that all wiring is in order. Moreover, conduct regular maintenance checks to avoid any sort of mishaps.
Smoking kills in more than one way. In fact, one of the most common causes of fires is the improper disposal of burning cigars or cigarettes. Cigarette buds thrown in the garbage can easily ignite a fire.
To reduce this danger, make sure that smoking prohibition is strictly enforced on office premises.
Restaurants generally spring to mind first when you think about commercial kitchens. However, they are not the only place with a kitchen!
Whether it is a school cafeteria, hospital or nursing home diner, or even a commercial breakroom, these are extremely high-risk zones.
From flammable oils, high temperatures, and gas to electrical equipment, such as microwaves, countless items can set off a fire.
Make sure anyone who uses cooking equipment must be fully trained in fire prevention and control and no flammable objects are left unattended.
Any Flammable Material
It's impossible to eliminate all flammable products from a building.
Effective storage and usage of flammable liquids, including glues and solvents, is critical for fire safety since they are prone to combust if not properly kept and utilized. This also applies to any other potentially harmful substances such as paints and chemicals.
In risk assessments, it's critical to keep an eye out for potential fire hazards.
Has your workplace been affected by fire?
Don’t worry. SERVPRO is here to help you!
As the pioneer in the cleaning and restoration industry, we specialize in immediate fire damage restoration.
From removing smoke to clearing soot from walls, carpets, and upholstery, we do it all, ensuring there’s minimal disruption in your business.
Isn’t that just what you want?
Here at SERVPRO we always want to help you put your best foot forward to avoid any fire, water, or mold damage. In the event that you do experience water damage, we’re here to help!
Give us a call for your quote today at 706-866-5646
From Fort Oglethorpe to Varnell, Cohutta to Praters Mill, or anywhere in between, we take pride in serving your neighborhood! We are a locally owned and operated franchise with employees dedicated to providing a quality customer experience!